Saturday, March 1, 2008

Lathe Speed, Pen Making and Bowl Turning

What speed should you set your lathe to when turning different projects.
I have guidelines that I use when selecting what lathe speed to use. The speed you use should allow the blanks to turn with little or no vibration. So if you turn the lathe on and there is vibration, shut it down and lower the speed.
I always wear a face shield, which is a good safety practice.
My guidelines for turning wood are as follows:
Pen Turning 3000 RPM or higher
Stock smaller than 2" can turn at 3000 RPM
Stock which is 3" can turn at 2000 to 2800 RPM
Stock which is 5" can turn at 1200 to 1800 RPM
Anything over 6" should be turned at less than 1000 RPM
When sanding I always slow my lathe down to 500-600 RPM
When applying finish, I set it to it's lowest speed. Which for me is 500 RPM
These guidelines are for wood, if you turn other material, these may not be right for you.
These are only guides, try different things and see what works best for you.
Always wear a face shield or at least safety glasses when turning. And if it doesn't feel right shut it down. Do not turn wood with defects, cracks or knots.
http://nokeswoodworks.com/

2 comments:

brian said...

great info, thanks very much!

Anonymous said...

Great tips. I have been turning WAY to fast for bowls. Hence all the blow outs and such.

Thank you for posting this.