Sunday, March 30, 2008

Carving in the woodshop

I decided this weekend, that I wanted to do a carving project, so off to the wood store I go. After looking though all of the books, I decide I want to learn to do a caricature carving.
So I pick out a book. I go over to the carving section and pick out a new detail carving knife, I have a couple of knifes already but a new project should have a new knife. I also pick up a block of basswood. Now I'm ready. I have competed several carvings of birds and animals but never cared a caricature before.
The book I picked out is called: Caricature carving from Head to Toe. A complete step by step guide to capturing expression and humor in wood. The author is Dave Steton. Published by Fox Chapel Publishing.
I picked this book because it has step by step pictures of how to carve. It has information on carving knives. How to make models in clay, how to carve faces with expression and goes into painting.
After reading the book, I found it teaches both composition and technique. It also teaches you much more than just he projects in this book. I will start the project today, starting with a rough out.
Randy Please visit my web site.
http://nokeswoodworks.com/

No comments: