Saturday, March 8, 2008

The most used hand plane in my shop.

In my shop , there is no doubt which hand plane is used the most. I collect hand planes an have over 100 panes in my shop. The most used is the Lie Nielsen 103 standard angle block plane. I use it daily to trim , make things fit and to make my projects look good. It has a small body, only 5 1/4" long. Which makes it fit easily in my hand. It is simply amazing the amount of uses I find for it. It is made of bronze and the blade is 1 1/4" wide. It fits in my apron pocket and does everything I ask it to do. The plane most people think of when asked what is the most popular hand plane is the Stanley number 4 plane, but I have many more uses for this little block plane than I do a number 4. If you can only afford one plane, get this plane. I have at least 5 or 6 other brands of block planes in my shop but none compare to this little baby.
Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

No comments: