Saturday, March 29, 2008

Box Making as a woodworking craft business

BOX MAKING AS A HOBBY OR BUSINESS

Here is the question: Can box making become a profitable woodworking craft business?

Boxes have always held a fascination for me even when I was a small kid. From the pirate treasure to my treasure chest which held all my valuable stuff.
I still have a wood wood that I keep my so called treasures in. I have build boxes for both of my boys to store there treasures and they both use them.
So I think there is a market for boxes. A box needs to be something special for it to sell. By special I mean it has to either be decorative or it needs to be build to hold something special and needs to be marketed that way.
Decorative may mean use of a beautiful wood grain or combination of woods. Now special means it needs to cater to a need , such as i have listed below. These are just a few of the special box needs out there.

1. Wedding Box : to hold wedding cards, pictures or memories from a wedding, can be marketed through wedding shops.
2. Tea Box : To hold those special teas. Can be marketed as a gift box or direct to hotels and restaurants.
3. Toy box : Every Child need a toy box.
4. Jewelry box.
5. Keepsake box.
6. Bible box.
7. Men's Valet box.
8. Spice box.
9. Wine bottle boxes for special gifts.
10.Treasure chest, of course.
A box can be built for almost any hobby or collection out there. So built and market products to customers for a reason. Even my wife uses a box to store her sewing and quilting stuff in.
I have pen boxes, salt boxes, and candle boxes all over the house.
So the answer to the question is yes, if one puts there mind to it and builds something beautiful or something useful, there can be a market for it.
I will be doing articles on how to market on my web site. Please visit often : http://nokeswoodworks.com/

No comments: