Wednesday, February 13, 2008

PEN MAKING TIP

Sometimes when I turn an acrylic blank, the brass tube shows through on the finish turned pieces. If the blank is say black and white and the brass shows through the white, it does'nt look very good.
There is a way around this problem. You have to paint the brass tube before gluing it in place. Yes you can paint the brass tubes. You need to sand the outside of the tube with sandpaper. Make sure you sand the entire tube. I then use a wire inserted through the tube and bent at the end to hold the tube. I then use spray paint to paint the tube, then hang the other end of the wire up till it dries. Use a spray paint for metal like Rustoleum. Use a color of paint that matches the lighter color in the blank.
Once the paint has dried, you can glue it in normally. I use an expoy glue, seems to work better for me than CA.
Please see my website for information on pen making. http://www.nokeswoodworks.com

No comments: