Friday, February 8, 2008

Cast Iron Rust in this weather, WOODSHOP TIP

During this time of year, one of my shop concerns is rust, which may start forming on my cast iron table tops or tools. My shop is in the garage and there is alot more moisture than I would like in my shop. There are three things i use to try and keep my tools rust free. I like a spray on product sold at woodcraft called TOP-COTE. I use this on tools, that I my not use for a couple of weeks at a time. It is fast and works reasonably well. During normal times, when I'm in the shop alot, I like to use car wax on my tools. This is a good preventive measure. I use turtle wax.
There is one other product which will work in a pinch. That is baby powder. In fills in the small holes in the cast iron and prevents moisture. It will not affect wood finishing and it makes the surface very slick. So it is a good low cost choice as well.
If you do get rust on your table tops or tools, get a rust eraser. These work great, they come in fine, medium and corse grit. Just use it like an eraser on the rust. Use only when light rust occurs. You can pick these up from Lee Valley, Woodcraft or Rockler.
Visit my website for more infromation http://nokeswoodworks.com

No comments: