Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Do I need a plan for woodworking project?

Well, I always start out with a plan. Somehow my plans always seems to change before , during or after I get into a new project. Sometimes I have to make adjustments to the plan based on the wood I have, I may only have enough matching wood to make a 34 inch table top instead of a 36 inch top. I sometimes change plans based on a mistakes. I sometimes change plans to make it fit where I want it to go. Somehow it seems I always change the plan. But yes I need a plan. It tells me how to buy my wood. It tells me how to layout and do a cut plan. It's what I use to make sense of what order Im going to cut pieces and assemble pieces. Could I make a project without a plan, maybe but it would be much more dificult. Like the time I made a glider rocker for my wife. Well I mounted the feet wrong and she hit her toe everytime she came near it. It looked great but she hated it.
Next time I'll use a plan. There are alot of good plans out there. I some times get free plans from the internet. I sometimes get plans from books I have bought. I have even bought a few plans. I do make my own plans, which I find the most enjoyable. Check out my links page on my website for a place to get your plans or to get google sketchup to draw your own plans.
www.nokeswoodworks.com

No comments: