Sunday, January 13, 2008

Time for a new Project

Well I'm looking for a new project to start. I have not been in the shop for two months. This was due to the fact, I just had a total knee replacement on my right knee. I had the surgery the week before thanks giving. It has been eight weeks now and I am getting around pretty good now. I'm also itching to get back into the shop.
I think I need to start with a few small projects since I still can't lift much. I also can,t do alot of standing.
I think maybe a scroll saw project or two might just be the thing. I got a Dewalt scroll last fall and really have not done much with it other than cut out a couple of name plates. I used 1" cherry and scrolled the name with a base, so it would set on a desk.
I have a good comfortable stool to sit at the scroll saw. The biggest problem I have with scroll saw projects is that everything seems to be copyrighted. Either you have to make your patterns, pay some one to use there pattern or break a law. Even the books I buy with patterns say, I can make 3 or for copies for personal use only. Does that mean if I wanta make something and sell it for profit from a book that I am not allowed. Even the scroll magazines have a copyright to there pages. Seems if I buy a book with pattern or a magazine, I should be able to make and as many as I want and sell them if I want. As long as I'm not coping the patterns and selling them.
I belong to a yahoo group on scroll sawing and alot of the members as for patterns but I'm afraid to sent them one, because I might break a law.
The whole pattern issue is very complicated. Sure if I make a pattern , I don't want someone stealing it either. But a the same time is I write book with patterns or have a magazine article with a pattern. I can not expect people who have bought the book to make projects and give them or dell them to other people. This woodworking not rocket science.
Any way back to my knee. as I said I'm getting around pretty got now. I do still have some minor pain but I'm off the pain pills, so now I can operate machines. If any one has comments on copy right or on knee surgery please leave a comment with email address.
OK, I'm off to look for pattens. That I can use.
I will spent the day looking for projects.

No comments: