Saturday, January 19, 2008

Google Sketchup

Today I woke up and it's 9 degrees outside, so there is no woodworking today. Today I will be trying out google sketch up. I have heard it is great for woodworking projects. Best of all it is free. Just go to google sketchup and down load your free copy. It says it is easy to learn, and after what little I have played with it, I think it will be easy, but will still take several hours if not a full day to be able to really create anything usefull with it. It can do 3D modeling, it has video tutorials and an on line users guide. as well as a quick reference guide.
As I said I have played with it a little and it is very easy to start drawing. It has presective guideline which will help with the 3d aspect. It will work in inches or cm.
One of the really cool things about sketchup is the tape measure. It has a little tape measuse use to measure any line or any point on the drawing. It really looks like a little tape measure. It will measure to 1/16 th of an inch.
Overall I cant wait to get started. i have a few projects that i want to create working drawings, so that when it does warm up , I can get back to the shop and start building.
If you have every wanted to get into computer adided drafting or drawing. This is the easiest way I know. It free, its easy, its great.
By the way it has now been 8 weeks since my knee replacement and everything is going great. I have not had a pain pill in two weeks. I am really getting around good now.

No comments: