Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Inspiration in wodworking projects

Inspiration ....where do you get inspiration to make your projects.. What caused you to make that new side table, or that coin box or that wood toy.

Inspiration comes from several places for me.

I have an 8 year son. He sometimes has given inspiration to me. I made a ride on tractor when he was smaller, I have made banks and a treasure chest for him to keep him good stuff. I have made trophy cases for his baseballs and trophies.

Of course my wife has her way of giving me idea's and inspiration. Such as showing me pictures of this great dinning room furniture set. Which in turn caused me to build a Mission dinning table, chair, sideboard and china cabinet.

I have also seen what others have done and that makes me want to produce something equally as great. I love to visit antique stores and see what was made in yesteryear. there were some truly great woodworkers in our past.

Sometimes the wood will give me inspiration. Such as the time I got some 100 year old reclaimed chestnut wood. It had nail holes and had turned color. I used this to produce a smaller shaker style sewing table. It came out fantastic.

When I produce something that turns out really great it just makes me want to make more. And gives me the knowledge not to make the mistakes I have made in the past.
And yes I make mistakes, I think we have all cut a board short, or drilled a hole in the wrong location.

I love to look at every woodworking book, every woodworking magazine, so I can to gleam new projects. I also look at almost any magazine that has wood furniture or projects to get that one project that I just have to make.

I now have a large collection of books and magazines. I'd love to see pictures of stuff you have made. Maybe you can give me inspiration too!

No comments: