Friday, January 2, 2009

Basic Wood Turning Tools for Spindles and Bowls

I have been asked a couple of times what tools should I buy. The answer depends on what you want to turn. I have put together a list for bowls, spindle turning, pens turns and a couple of extras.

The picture to the right are my basic tools for bowl turning.
I use a 3/8" Deep fluted bowl gouge, a 3/4" Bowl scraper and a 1/16" parting tool. These are the basic tools I use to turn bowls.
Some people use a 1/2 bowl gouge but I find the a 3/8" gouge is easier to control and works better in tight places.


Spindle turning and pen turning almost the same. I use spindle gouges in the 1/4" and 3/8" size.
These are the main tools used in spindle turning, also in pen turning. Spindle gouges can be used on the outside of bowls but not on the inside. I also have a 3/4" roughing gouge use to rough pieces to the round. Another good tool to have is the skew chisel , I use a 1/2" chisel the most but also have a 1"chisel I have the oval design, I get better control with it. Last but not least is the 1/8" diamond parting tool. I use the 1/4" gouge and the skew for pen making and sometimes I need the parting tool.



I also have two other tools I want to mention. One is the spindlemaster, it is a cross between a skew and a spindle gouge. I love this tool and use it alot. The other tool is a dovetail tool used to make the recess in the bottom of bowls, so they can be held in the chuck properly.

One last note on tools, Make sure you buy tools that are made of HSS high speed steel or better. Anything less will not hold an edge. In wood turning you will need sharp tools and tools which hold there edge longer wont have to be sharpened as much.

Please visit my web site for more information on turning and woodworking.
http://nokeswoodworks.com













1 comment:

Dick Steussy said...

Have you seen my new BowlSaw? With it you can carve out multiple bowls from one blank! See it at http://www.bowlsaw.com

Try it for free!