Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bowl Turning , Turning a green Pecan wood bowl

BOWL TURNING BASICS


This morning I rough turned a bowl from a green pecan bowl blank. This is how I turn a bowl blank. This blank is made of Pecan, it is green and waxed sealed. I mount the bowl using 1" screws.
This bowl blank is 8"X 3"

The bowl blank is then mounted to the lathe. I used a 3/8" bowl gouge to turn the bowl to a true round.

Once the bowl is round, I then square up the face. I have more pictures on my web site that also shows how I hold a bowl gouge.
Once everything is square. I use my Teknatool dovetail scraper to cut a dovetail recess in the bottom of the blank. This will be used to hold the blank using my Nova dovetail chuck. The recess is cut to about 2 1/2" circle. At this point I switch and mount my bowl on the Nova expanding dovetail chuck.
This picture show how I have used my bowl gouge to cut away the inside of the bowl. The lathe speed I used during this entire process was 684 RPM's. Now that the bowl has been roughed out to about a 3/4-1" thickness, I will date it and write pecan on the bottom. The bowl will be set aside for 4-6 months or until dry. Once it is dry, I will finish turn the bowl.

You can find more pictures and more information on my web site.









2 comments:

Dmitri said...

Hi there,

Your work is really interesting and I think you might be interested to have a look on http://www.hobbything.com - hobby social network. You can create photo albums, write stories, post videos and share tips about your hobbies. Plus you can meet other like-minded people. Check it out.

It has a section for woodworking as well:
http://www.hobbything.com/hobbies_tags/woodworking.aspx

All the best,

Dmitri

Blogger said...

Gain your access to 16,000 woodworking sketches.

Teds Woodworking has over 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP-BY-STEP instructions, pictures and blueprints to make all projects smooth and easy...