Monday, September 22, 2014

Country Hutch from Fine Woodworking Magazine

On the cover of Fine Woodworking Magazine for the October 2014 issue is a hand made country hutch.
We needed extra storage in our kitchen, so I thought I would build my version of the hutch.
I ordered there plans and cut list via the Fine Woodworking Web site. I made my changes and went to work.
I used pine just as they did in their build but instead of Cherry, I decided to use Walnut. I had a few pieces left over from a tree that was cut on my wife's old home place in south Alabama. It has a nice rich dark color.
My wife helped by doing the finish, we decided to finish with a warm white milk paint rather than leaving the pine natural.
This project took me two week ends of work but really turned out nice. Btw I did not do mine all by hand tools like the people at Fine woodworking. I did use pine, walnut and finished the back with plywood instead of slats like the one in the magazine. The plans were well drawn and easy to follow and along with the magazine instruction made this an easy build.

No comments: