Sunday, September 14, 2014

CNC Router .....Probotix

I have final ordered a CNC router kit, after much research and trying to figure out the world Of the CNC router, I have decided to buy the X90 from Probotix.

I have looked at several CNC routers and Kits. All of which I think are good depending on what you want. My search mainly centered on Rockler's Shark CNC router, Woodcraft Oliver carver, Shopbot CNC router, Zen CNC router and the Probotix CNC router. After the research I decided on the X90 for a number of reasons. I looked at size, quality, price, customer service reviews, and how it fit into what I wanted to do with it.
The X90 is a kit which has been pre assembled at the factory and them taken apart for shipping. So i do have some assemble work once it arrives. It should be at my house via UPS on Monday.

The X90 has an 18"X18" work surface and uses a plan router. I will be using the Bosch colt.

I will do follow up blogs on the build of my machine and how well it works. So watch for those in the next few weeks.

I purchase the the USB version and the USB software which I think will make it easier for me. I will use an old HP desktop I had sitting in the basement for my control computer. It is basic but seems to have what I need for the base machine.

I will use my laptop in the house as my CAD/CAM machine. I did not buy cad/ cam soft wear with the machine, although they have good prices on both ARTCAM express and Mesh CAM.

I am now trying out VCARVE pro from Vectric Software to be my CAD/CAM software. As I make sure this will work well with the machine , I will purchase it as well, Vectric also has a 3D cam I may purchase later. ( by the way VCARVE pro and 3D come with the shark.)

There are three types of software needed to run CNC. One is your control machine software that runs the machine. As I stated I bought the PBX-USB software from Planet CNC. The second software is the CAD software such as Autocad used to actually draw the item you want to machine. The third piece is the CAM software used to convert the CAD software to Machine tool paths.

I selected VCARVE pro because it will do both the CAD and the CAM. It will do 2D and 2.5D but not 3D. You would need the 3D add on for that.

Please check back, as I will be updating as I build.

No comments: