Friday, May 9, 2008

Pen Making Abalone Kit


This is a Wallstreet II Tropical Isle Abalone Kit from Woodcraft. I did this kit as a Mother's day gift for my wife. The kit came with the hole already drilled and the brass tube inserted. The polyester resin the Abalone is sealed is more difficult to turn than normal acrylic blanks. The polyester resin can easily chip. Sharp tools must be used. During the turning process, the blank on this pen chipped out near the edge. I used a small file while the lathe was on to soften the rough edges before continuing to turn the blank .

I finished turning the pen blank and then completed it in the normal way using sand paper. I buffed the blank to a final shine and assembled the pen using a pen press. For more pictures on this project please visit my web site.
Randy









1 comment:

Blogger said...

Get instant access to 16,000 woodworking designs.

Teds Woodworking has over 16,000 woodworking plans with STEP BY STEP instructions, photos and blueprints to make each project very easy.