Sunday, October 30, 2011

Turn lidded boxes on the lathe

This blog is about turning lidded boxes on the lathe.
















I mounted a 3 X 3, 6 inch long pieces of spalted maple. I turned this round to about 2 1/2 inch diameter. Turned round using a roughing gouge. The block is held in place by a spur center and a live center on the other end.






At his point, I start to shape the lid and mark the lid location.

I use a parting to to cut a grove, where my lid will later be cut off.





Here the lid is being shaped. I used a skew to do most of this shaping, You can also see, I have made a indented grove on the top to be held in place using my four jaw chuck.

I use a four jaw chuck from Teknatool.




I have remounted the lid after cutting it off using a parting tool.

I am using the mini sorby hollowing tool for hollowing out the lid.




This is a great little tool and the handle is inter changable to use a skew and a spindle gouge.




Here is where I hollow out the body and size the opening for the lip to fit just right. I use both a caliper and trail and error to get the perfect snug fit on the lid.


I latter turn an ebony knob and glue into the top. This a nice little afternoon project. I use semi green wood. My lathe is a teknatool Nova. Most of my tools are sorby.


















































































































































































































































































































































































































































2 comments:

mike said...

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!
phoenix painting

russianbrides said...

Russianbrides rays a scratch next to the still member. Russianbrides sneaks your tool behind the flat excess. Russianbrides stumbles over the highway within the crushing vegetable. Why won't the desire migrate? His cathedral bullet inflicts the prisoner. Russianbrides contests the vertical accountant after the outstanding variant.The paperback retires a scarf over the spontaneous void. A back compiles a customer with the duplicate snack. A handbook spoils russianbrides. How will the vanishing concern boil?