Saturday, June 7, 2008

Mini lathe project, Make-up brush




Making a make up brush on the mini lathe. I purchased the actual brush and a plastic blank with an embedded rose from Arizona Silhouette. The blank comes in a round form. I place this round blank in my scroll chuck, in order to drill a hole to insert the brush. Once this was drilled, I had to enlarge the hole using lathe tools. I then changed drill bits and drilled a hole for the mandrel to screw into the blank to hold the blank while I finished turning it to shape.
The blank is turned to shape using a skew and a spindle gouge.
One the shape is achieved the blank is then sanded to a glass like finish. Using different grits of sand paper and then a final buffing at the buffing wheel. Once the blank is completed, the brush is
inserted in the hole using epoxy. Makes a great gift for your wife, mother, or girl friend.
This is one great project. Almost every woman I know uses a make up brush. For more on mini lathe projects , as well as more pictures of this project, please visit my web site. http://nokeswoodworks.com/

No comments: