Saturday, April 12, 2008

Building a Woodcraft 68 point skinner knife kit

Woodcraft Skinner knife kit




This past week I bought and assembled the Woodcraft 68 point skinner knife kit, using Bocote wooden knife scales.
The kit did not come with instructions, but I found a set I could down load at the Woodcraft web site. I used the knife as a template and marked the handles for cutting.. I drilled one hole and placed a brass pin thru the hole before drilling the next hole.

After the holes were drilled, I checked alignment and cut the handles out on the bandsaw. I cut on the out sides of the lines. So the handles were a bit over size. I then shaped and sanded the part of the handle near the knife which was not mounted to the blade. This was done so the finish on the knife blade will not be damaged. After this I used one hour epoxy to glue the handles to the knife blade. I then inserted the brass pins with epoxy also. The brass pins had to be cut shorter to fit the handle and knife. I clamped handles and blade together with several clamps and wiped away the excess glue. I let it dry over night. Once it was dry, I removed the clamps and finished shaping the handle to match the knife outline. Once I had this shaped and sanded ending with 600 grit sand paper. I applied a wax finish. Buffed and finished the project. Please visit my we site http://nokeswoodworking.com/ For more on knives or other woodworking information.

The project turned out great. Now I will have to build another since I have two sons. This will make a great keepsake gift for them. You can visit Woodcraft by clicking on the link at the right column. The knife scales (wood for handles) are purchased separate from the kit.

No comments: